Sony Mobile to launch WP8 phones, say sources

Posted on: January 6th, 2014

Sony Mobile to launch WP8 phones, say sources

Sony Mobile Communications has decided to launch ODM models of Windows Phone 8-based smartphones, while concentrating its R&D efforts on Android and Firefox models, according to industry sources.

Through the cooperation deal, Sony Mobile aims to sell its WP8 phone to telecom operators in the US, while Microsoft aims to tap the Japan market in order to expand the global share of WP8 phones, said the sources.

Sony Mobile and Taiwan-based ODM Compal Communications have nailed down orders for 1-2 models, with an additional 2-3 models still under discussion, noted the sources, adding that order volumes for the initial 1-2 models will reach only tens of thousands of units each.

Global sales of WP8 phones are expected to top 50 million units in 2014, accounting for 4% of total global smartphone sales in the year, the sources estimated.

Nokia will account for 90% of WP8 phone shipments in 2014, and other vendors including Sony Mobile, HTC, Samsung Electronics and Huawei will share the remaining 10%, added the sources.

Source: http://www.digitimes.com/

 

The 8 phones to supercharge your fitness in 2014

Getting fit has got a lot easier with the rise of smartphones and their various fitness tracking tools and apps – but which shiny new smartphone should you plump for if you’re thinking of shedding the weight?

If you’re serious about getting fit and want a smartphone to help you then don’t just go out and buy the first shiny handset you see, because some are a lot more suited to that all important task of personal betterment than others. We’ve got you covered with the best of them, handily split into five different categories.

Source: http://www.techradar.com/